Did you know that over 50% of the nation’s dogs and cats are overweight?
Overweight pets not only face a shorter life expectancy but can also develop quality of life issues. Purina®’s Landmark Life Span Study followed 48 Labrador Retrievers, which were paired litter mates, through their entire lifetime, spanning 14 years. Both dogs in each pair were fed the same diet but one of the two was fed 25% less (“lean diet”). The dogs on the “lean diet” lived an average of 1.8 years or 15% longer than the dogs on the “heavier diet”. The dogs on the “heavier diet” exhibited more visible signs of aging such as graying muzzles, impaired gaits, and reduced activity at an earlier age then the lean-fed dogs.
Major health issues that obese animals are more prone to include osteoarthritis, diabetes mellitus, high blood pressure, heart and respiratory disease, cancer and more.
- Schedule an appointment today with one of our personal weight loss coaches!
- Bring a list of the type of food and treats and how much of each your pets get daily.
- We will create a weight loss plan for your pet to follow throughout the program.
0 YES, this includes treats!
- We will schedule a weight check every 2 weeks for 90 days.
0 At each weigh in there will be FREE samples or prizes just for checking in!
- The first 5 dogs and cats enrolled will receive a FREE bag of prescription Purina OM® food
The BIGGEST LOSER after 90 days (most percentage of body weight lost) will win a FREE YEAR OF PURINA FOOD
Tips to help your pet lose weight that we will discuss further at your weight loss consultation:
- Increasing physical activity and mental stimulation each day
o We will discuss recommended activity for each pet based on their abilities
- Replacing high calorie treats and table food with healthy snacks such as vegetables
- Decrease daily calorie intake:
o Reducing caloric intake of current diet
o Changing to a prescription Purina OM® (Overweight Management)
0 Low in fat and calories
0 High protein – to - calorie ratio to maintain lean body mass, stimulate metabolism, and establish satiety (feeling of fullness after eating)
0 Natural fiber to help your pet feel full (satiety)
0 Isoflavones (natural soybean germ): help reduce risk of weight regain and fat accumulation